Toor dal- 1 cup
Vegetables – 1 cup ( Ex: beans, potato, peas, carrots. You can use any vegetables of your choice)
Tamarind juice – 4 to 5 tbspns
Jaggery – little less than the size of a small lemon.
Tomato – 1 big
Geera – 1 tspn
Mustard seeds – 1 tspn.
Coriander for garnishing.
Salt to taste.
Red chilli powder – 1 tspn
Turmeric powder – ½ tspn
Water – 3 cups
Oil – 1 tbspn
- Take 3 cups of water in a sauce pan. When water starts to boil add washed toor dal. When it startes boiling again add chopped tomatoes. Alternatively you can pressure cook the toordal with 3 cups of water and tomatoes. You can also cook vegetables in it. Or choose your way of cooking the toor dal.
- Boil vegetables and keep aside.
- Take the water left behind after boiling toordal and vegetables and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan. Add geera and mustard, let them splutter.
- Add curry leaves, tamarind juice and jaggery. Bring it to boil.
- Then add salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder, sambar powder and all the boiled vegetables. Cook for 2 mins.
- Meanwhile mash toor dal and add it to the boiling mixture.
- Cook for 5-10 mins and garnish with coriander.
Serve hot with idli, rice, dosa etc. its yummy.