I learnt this recipe from my mom. I have tasted this okra curry many a times, which others had prepared. It was not at all good and i stopped eating this curry. Then my mom came up with new idea and prepared it like the below recipe. Now me and my husband and also my daughter love okra. My daughter eats only okra curry when i prepare, instead of eating it with chapati.
Okra or ladies fingers - 250grms
Onion – 1 chopped
Tomato – 1 chopped
Geera or cumin seeds – 1 tspn
Oil – 3 tspn
Garam masala – 1 tspn
Chilli powder – ½ tspn(as much as you like)
Turmeric powder -1/4 tspn
Salt to taste
- Wash dry and wipe the okra or ladies finger. The very important thing is that, you should wipe all water before chopping them.
- Heat 1 tspn oil in a kadai or frying pan. Add the chopped okra and fry till all the jelly bit has disappeared. If you don’t want to fry more, add some lemon juice to the frying okra, the jelly thing will soon disappear. Keep them aside for now.
- In another vessel heat the remaining oil and add cumin seeds and let them splutter. Add curry leaves.
- Then add onion and fry till golden brown. Then add tomato and salt. Mix well, cover it and cook for 3 or 4 min. By doing this the tomato will cook nicely and with the back of the spoon press them to make paste.
- Now add all the powders. That is chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and mix well.
- Now add the fried okra. Mix well and cover and cook for 5 min. put a few drops of water if it sticks to the pan. Not more water.
- Garnish with coriander and take off the heat. You can garnish with grated coconut as well.
Serve with chapatti. Its great.
Things to be considered:
- Dry the okra completely after washing them. And also wipe them to ensure they are dry. By doing this the jelly thing which it lives will be less. I usually wash the okra before 2 hours of preparation and spread them on the newspaper or kitchen roll(tissue). By doing this, the okra will be quite dry. But still before cutting them wipe with clean cloth.
- You can also grind the onion and tomato to get a different taste.